Caramelized Onion and Grilled Vegetable Flatbread
Grilling pizza dough gives the flatbread crust a light and crispy texture with a hint of smoke from the grill.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 60 minutes Serves: 4
1 tbsp butter
2 small onions, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper, divided
1 eggplant, cut lengthwise in 1/4-inch thick slices
1 zucchini, cut lengthwise in 1/4-inch thick slices
1 red pepper, quartered
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 lb prepared pizza dough
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1/2 cup Gehl’s Queso Blanco Cheese Sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat butter in large skillet set over medium heat; cook onions, and half of the salt and pepper for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring often, for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high; grease grate well. Toss together eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, garlic, rosemary, oregano, remaining salt and pepper, and 1 tbsp olive oil; grill for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until grill-marked and tender (make sure eggplant is tender; otherwise, it will have a chewy texture). Chop vegetables into 1-inch bite-size pieces.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into 1/4-inch thick rectangle. Brush each side with remaining olive oil.
4. Grill dough for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbles start to form and top and bottom are well-marked. Flip over; grill for 2 to 3 minutes or until bottom is well-marked. Transfer to baking sheet.
5. Spread cheese sauce over dough. Scatter mozzarella, caramelized onions and grilled vegetables over top. Bake in oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until cheese starts to melt. Sprinkle with parsley.